- Bringing the Institute related issues to the fore.
- Highlighting Institute achievements.
- Analyzing the problems affecting academic community in the institute through investigation and suggest way outs if possible.
Selection Of Team Members:
- Information about openings has to be communicated to the student community through broadcasts, posters etc.
- Any IISc student is free to join Voices.
- One-year term for editor (flexible in exceptional circumstances)
- In case of extraordinary circumstances, members can unanimously run the selection for the editor again.
- Voices Team selects the editor by simple majority.
- There is a provision of Working Editor who would have an interim right and responsibility for a particular Voices issue. The selection of Working Editor is done the same way as the Editor.
Roles and Duties of the Members of Voices:
- This applies to all members of the Voices team including the editors.
- Assigning roles and duties to the new entrants is done through interactive meetings.
- Should contribute to Voices as and when required.
- Help out in the other functioning of Voices as and when required.
- Strictly adhere to the basic ethics of journalism.
- All team members must maintain confidentiality of matters discussed within the team.
- If a team member misses 5 consecutive team meetings, a show-cause notice will be sent to the team member by the Team and the process for removing the member from the team will be initiated.
Roles And Responsibilities Of Editors:
- The Editors should ensure the regular publication of Voices with help from all team members.
- Editor is completely responsible for all material printed in Voices.
- Voices may not subscribe to views or ideas presented by outside contributions, they are solely their own.
- Authors submit -> editors review -> return to authors suggesting changes -> authors revise article and make changes -> authors resubmit article.
- Responsible for content of e-Voices.
- The editor has to reach a consensus for each editorial decision.
- The editor won’t have any special privilege in the team other than having the additional responsibility of being the intermediary between the Students’ Council / IISc administration and Voices.
- Voices Team has the final say in the content of Voices and has complete authority in all other matters.
Guidelines For Bringing Out Articles:
- The team members screen ideas to decide which will be put into Voices.
- Choice of articles should not be motivated by religious, political and regional considerations.
- Articles should be fair in their report, unbiased in their presentation.
- They should follow broad principles of journalism.
Role of Students’ Council:
- The Voices team will work jointly with the Students’ Council in raising issues pertaining to the interests of IISc students’ community.
- With consent from Students’ Council, Archives and Publications Cell of IISc will fund Voices.
Amendments to the Bylaws:
- The Voices Team together with the Editor reserves the right to amend the bylaws on a unanimous vote.
- Bylaws to be reviewed annually when the new editor takes charge.